Friday, May 20, 2011

Happiest Toddler on the Block

I chanced upon this video last night in youtube while looking for the Happiest Baby on the Block video for Jon and Elyza. Talk about good karma!  This came very very timely... almost like god sent as Kiiron is already displaying the terrible two syndrome. 


Dr Karp's 3 special steps:
  1. short phrases - mention what the child wants first then what you want
  2. repetitive - say it over and over for 5-10 times
  3. echo their energy - this is really difficult it you are outside

During lunch hour we went to NTUC, Kiiron was playing with the slot-coin capsule toy machines (I hate those machines!!! Why are children so attracted to them???) and we need to rush home.  My usual trick is to say bye bye to him and try to walk off, he will follow me 10% of the time but usually he will just ignore.  My second trick is to grab him up and try to make an exit as fast as possible because he will start to scream and cry.  I wonder how long I can do it since he is getting stronger everyday and there will be a day when I can no longer battle him.

Remembering what I saw last night on the video, I quickly put it into practice...

Me: PLAY MACHINE? PLAY MACHINE? PLAY MACHINE? (Imagine really dramatic ok...)
Kiiron: smile and nod head

Me: PLAY MACHINE? PLAY MACHINE? .... (ok, this is difficult... someone is staring!)
Kiiron: continue to smile and nod head

Me: NO MACHINE! NO MACHINE! NO MACHINE! (my voice is starting to quaver....)
Kiiron: blank look

Me: Go find 姨妈. Go find 姨妈. Go find 姨妈. Go find 姨妈. Go find 姨妈... (normal tone as I dont have any energy left)
Kiiron: Walks away from the machine!

Wow! It works!!! Well at least for this time.
It takes a lot of patience and energy to talk like that to him though, almost like the same energy used to grab him and run.

  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later on in the evening, I tried it again. This time was to wear his clothes and diaper.  For some strange reasons, he always refuse to wear his clothes and diaper after bathing. It is a chore and a lot of screaming is usually involved.


Me: NO CLOTHES? NO CLOTHES?
Kiiron: Shake head...

Me: NICE CLOTHES! NICE CLOTHES! NICE CLOTHES!
Kiiron: Frown...

Me: YOU WANT TO WEAR! YOU WANT TO WEAR! YOU WANT TO WEAR!
... and I quickly slip on the shirt and diaper (no fussing!)

2nd time lucky again! It seems like it does work if we try to communicate to our tods in their own language.  But somehow there's no satisfication on my part... I got to admit that I'm a big bully! There's the feeling of triumphs when I successfully forced him to do whatever he dont want to!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment